Back to Invisalign & Six Month Smiles Home Page
Caring for clear braces: Invisalign tips from Etobicoke dentists
posted by sherway dentistry
Invisalign is a system of clear aligner trays that gently repositions teeth in about a year, without metal brackets or wires. How do you care for clear braces? Etobicoke dentists, Dr. Tuli and Dr. Pavelic from sherway dentistry explain.
The dentist starts with three dimensional images of your mouth. A computer program uses these digital impressions to create a series of aligners to move teeth. You wear each set for about two weeks, before progressing. Aligners are made of a smooth, clear plastic. You will want to keep them transparent and odor free during treatment. Since aligners are removable, it is easy!
Aligner cleaning DOs
- Take aligners out before eating. Rinse them with cool or tepid water. Place aligners in their storage case (not in a dinner napkin where they might get thrown out by accident).
- When cleaning the aligners at bedtime, remove and place on a clean towel. Rinse one arch, and brush it with clear, anti-bacterial hand soap and a soft toothbrush. Rinse again, place on the towel, and repeat with the other arch.
- In the morning remove the aligners and clean them again. Brush and floss your teeth before reinserting.
- Give aligners a periodic soak in retainer cleaner or Invisalign cleaning crystals, for extra sanitation and bacterial control.
To learn more about Invisalign the clear alternative to braces, or to book your free consultation call sherway dentistry in Etobicoke at 416-639-2546.
- Do not drink anything other than plain water while wearing aligners.
- Don't smoke during treatment.
- Do not rinse aligners with hot water – it could warp the plastic.
- Do not use tinted soap which may stain.
- Do not brush aligners with a stiff toothbrush, toothpaste, or abrasive cleanser. It will scratch the plastic, dulling transparency and leaving grooves that hold bacteria.
© Copyright 2019 sherway dentistry. All Rights Reserved. Powered by www.ekwa.com